Today, I had the need to get a Family Tree PDF file, hosted, to make it easier for lots of people to view it. This, of course, saves me time and effort, uploading a 1.2 Mbs file, every time someone asks me to send them a copy. I didn't want to create a fancy document, or template. Just host the file.
The secret? Google Docs.
Google Docs can now upload any type of file, for private, or public viewing. It takes seconds to accomplish. For loads of info, see Google Docs Help. I already have a Google Account, so opening Google Docs was easy.
The steps I followed were:
- Save a copy of the PDF file to a folder on My Documents (on my computer).
- Open Google Docs, and click on Upload File.
- I clicked on the option to convert the file to a Google Docs format, during this process.
- When the file was loaded, I clicked on the Share option to Get the link to share.
- Google provided their usual 5000 kms-long URL - which I converted to a TinyURL
- I then added that TinyURL to my Family blog Tabs bar, and my job was done.
Now, anyone who wants to view my Family Tree PDF file, can just click on a link in my blog. Simple!
This is what it looks like on my blog ...