Yesterday, I wrote a post on how to re-publish a blog from your Domain, to blogspot.com - change the host name - and then, re-publish it to the Custom Domain. Some bloggers would ask, why? What's the difference between publishing a blog to say, stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, and publishing that blog to www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net?
OK, they look different for a start. One has, host name www., and one doesn't. One is a 'naked' host name - but that's not what this post is about.
This post is about the reason I changed nearly all my blogs recently.
- It is because publishing to each of those domain names should be equal and interchangeable.
- They should be symmetrical, but they are not.
- You should be able to publish to one, and re-direct to the other, but Blogger has, it appears, stuffed-up, and you can't.
They (Blogger) are, however, aware of the problem, thanks to Nitecruzr, but as yet, haven't got around to fixing it.
So, what is the problem? It takes three parts -
- Basically, the problem is, and arises, if I publish my blog to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, Blogger will NOT give me an option to re-direct to www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, although both domain names are symmetrically paired on my DNS record.
- Secondly, if I publish my blog to www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, Blogger will give me an option to re-direct to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, (as you can see in Image 6 on my previous post) - but, then, my advertised URL will be wrong. That will necessitate me making sure that my Preferred Domain on Webmaster Tools, for that blog, is set to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net - bearing in mind that: - if I want good Search Engine reputation, I have to make the Preferred Domain equal what I advertise. If I advertise www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, my Readers will use that URL - which will have many effects on such aspects as Page Ranking. If I publish to www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, and advertise to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, the search engines will get confused - unless my Preferred Domain is correct.
- Thirdly, and this is not only very confusing, but it is very important - I should be able to publish to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net and re-direct www.stubblog1.robertosblogs.net to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net - but, if I publish to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net, Blogger gives me an option to re-direct my Domain root, robertosblogs.net to stubblog1.robertosblogs.net - AND, I NEVER want to re-direct my Domain root, to any of the Virtual Hosts.
It's better to be safe, than sorry.